Does your child enjoy photography, dance, film, painting, drawing, musical composition or collage? Then participate in this year’s PTA Reflections program with the theme: What Is Your Story?
Reflections is a national PTA-sponsored program offering students the opportunity to create works of art for fun and recognition. Students in preschool through grade 5 are encouraged to create and submit works of art (on a specified theme) in six categories: dance choreography, film production, literature, musical composition, photography, and the visual arts (which includes art forms such as drawing, painting, print making, and collage). Students may submit as many entries in as many categories as they would like. For general program information, visit the Texas PTA Reflections webpage at www.txpta.org/programs/reflections.
Theme for 2016-2017
What Is Your Story?
- Primary: Preschool – Grade 2
- Intermediate: Grades 3 – 5
Program Dates at Kiker
The 2016-2017 entries may be submitted the week of October 24 and are due to the Kiker office by Friday, October 28. Please be sure to mark as PTA Reflections Entry. For any questions, please contact kikerPTAArts@gmail.com or current committee members.
All students who participate in the program will be recognized by Kiker. Additionally, the top entries in each category (approx. 20%) will advance to compete at the Regional -> State -> National PTA levels. Entries are judged on artistic merit, creativity, mastery of the medium, and interpretation of the theme. Note that a well-developed concept carries more weight than the technique. Judging is primarily on how well the student uses his or her artistic vision to portray the theme.
How to participate
- Review the general participation guidelines and individual category rules at www.txpta.org/programs/reflections/participate
- Complete an entry form for EACH piece of work your child will submit. Visit above link for entry form.
- Submit artwork + entry form to the Reflections Box in the Kiker Front Office by Friday, October 28. Late entries will not be accepted.
Some important guidelines:
- Students may submit as many entries in as many categories as as they would like.
- The entry form must be filled out completely. Incomplete entries will not be eligible for participation. The artist statement (max. 250 words) is mandatory for all entries.
- If any submission includes the appearance of another person under the age of 18 ( audio, video, or photograph), parent consent form(s) must be completed and included with the entry.