Does your child enjoy photography, dance, film, painting, drawing, musical composition or collage? Then participate in this year’s PTA Reflections program with the theme: Within Reach
Reflections is a national PTA-sponsored program offering students the opportunity to create works of art for fun and recognition. Students in preschool through grade 5 are encouraged to create and submit works of art (on a specified theme) in six categories: dance choreography, film production, literature, musical composition, photography, and the visual arts (which includes art forms such as drawing, painting, print making, and collage). Students may submit as many entries in as many categories as they would like. For general program information, visit the Texas PTA Reflections webpage at http://austincouncilpta.org/reflections-2/.
Theme for 2017-2018
- Primary: Preschool – Grade 2
- Intermediate: Grades 3 – 5
Program Dates at Kiker
The 2017-2018 entries may be submitted the week of October 23rd and are due to the Kiker office by Friday, October 27th. Please be sure to mark as PTA Reflections Entry. For any questions, please contact kikerPTAArts@gmail.com or current committee members.
All students who participate in the program will be recognized by Kiker. Additionally, the top entries in each category (approx. 20%) will advance to compete at the Regional -> State -> National PTA levels. Entries are judged on artistic merit, creativity, mastery of the medium, and interpretation of the theme. Note that a well-developed concept carries more weight than the technique. Judging is primarily on how well the student uses his or her artistic vision to portray the theme.
How to participate
- Review the general participation guidelines and individual category rules at http://www.txpta.org/uploads/filemanager/Reflections%20Rules/2017_Official_Rules_English.pdf
- Complete an entry form for EACH piece of work your child will submit. You will find the entry form at http://www.txpta.org/uploads/filemanager/Reflections_2017/2017_Student_Entry.pdf.
- Submit artwork + entry form to the Reflections Box in the Kiker Front Office by Friday, October 28. Late entries will not be accepted.
Some important guidelines:
- Students may submit as many entries in as many categories as as they would like.
- The entry form must be filled out completely. Incomplete entries will not be eligible for participation. The artist statement (max. 250 words) is mandatory for all entries.
- If any submission includes the appearance of another person under the age of 18 ( audio, video, or photograph), parent consent form(s) must be completed and included with the entry.