Welcome to Kiker Math Pentathlon 2018/2019 season!
Math Pentathlon Registration
Come join us where fun, math, and family time come together. Online registration for the 2018-19 season is open now. Please register by November 9, 2018 to participate in the Kiker Math Pentathlon club practices. Registration Form is here.
Once you have registered for the Math Pentathlon club, you may also wish to register for the spring tournament. If so, please see the answer to “How do I register for the end-of-season tournament?” below.
What is Math Pentathlon?
The Pentathlon Institute, a not-for-profit educational organization, runs Mathematics Pentathlon®, which it describes as “a time-tested program of interactive problem-solving games, supportive curricular and instructional activities, and assessment tools for students in grades K-7. This motivational program strengthens basic math concepts and skills, aligns with National and State Mathematics Standards, and stimulates creative thinking while developing problem-solving skills.”
The Mathematics Pentathlon games provide a highly motivational format for developing and practicing important math concepts. While playing games in cooperative groups, students strengthen their strategic thinking and critical reasoning abilities. For more information on the general program, visit http://www.mathpentath.org.
How is the Math Pentathlon Program set up at Kiker?
The Math Pentathlon Club at Kiker is run by a team of parent volunteers and sponsored by 3rd grade teacher Ms. Karen Miller. The Club meets on Monday evenings at Kiker from 6:00-7:00pm beginning in mid-November. Students will learn and practice five games in division age groups led by parent volunteers.
Members of Math Pentathlon are eligible to participate in the area tournament held in Austin at the end of the season. Each student should have a parent volunteer who is willing to attend practices to learn the games, as well as volunteer as a Game Monitor during the tournament.
When and Where are the Practices?
Location of Practices:
- Division I (Grades K – 1): Cafeteria
- Division II (Grades 2 – 3): Library
- Division III (Grades 4 – 5): Ms. Swint’s Art Room
|Division I (K/1st)
|Division II (2nd/3rd)
|Division III (4th/5th)
(Ms. Swint’s Art Room)
|March 25||Last Practice||√||√|
|April 22||√||Last Practice|
|April 29||Last Practice|
When and Where are the National Math Pentathlon Academic Tournaments?
- Division I (Kinder/1st Grade): March 30, 2019 Location: TBD
- Division II (Grades 2/3): May 4, 2019 Location: Delco Center, 4601 Pecan Brook Dr. Austin, TX 78724
- Division III (Grades 4/5): April 27, 2019 Location: TBD
* The tournament is a 1-day local event where students compete against same-grade-level students from other schools. For more information, visit the Texas – Austin Metro Center tournament page.
How do I register for the end-of-season tournament in Austin?
Go to https://www.mathpentath.org/austin-area/ on or after October 1, 2018 and follow the instructions for registering for the tournament in Austin. When it asks you for your Coach’s Name and Email, please put Angela Ossar’s ([email protected]) information. Once you have submitted your registration, be sure to forward your email confirmation to Angela Ossar.
Is there training available for those volunteering to monitor a game at the tournament?
Yes! Parents should plan to attend a Game Monitor Training to learn more about tournament and how to volunteer. There will be a training in our area on:
2019 Dates TBD
You do not have to register for this training via the MP website but please do let Angela Ossar know which training you will attend. She will inform the MP staff so they can bring the appropriate amount of materials. Training is for adults only. Please find other accommodations for the kids. If you have gone through this training session before, you are welcome to attend as a refresher or for updates, but it is not necessary. (MP recommends parents attend every 3 years, as program information changes.)
How do we order a Kiker MP T-shirt?
We have our own Kiker Math Pentathlon t-shirt available. The students wear these shirts at tournament and certain days at school.
We will be wearing the same black with white “Star Wars” style lettering that we have used the past few years. Unless you need to order a new one because your child is bigger now, you may use last year’s t-shirt. Parents are strongly encouraged to order a shirt to wear at the tournament. This helps kids locate Kiker parents in the crowd, as well as helping the tournament organizers when matching kids with Game Monitors.
This page will be updated as soon as t-shirts are available to order.
Where do I get the Pentathlon Games?
- Pentathlon games are sold online through the Math Pentathlon Institute. Visit the MP Online store at https://www.mathpentath.org/online-store/
- Used games can sometimes be found on eBay and Facebook.
- A limited number of game sets will be available to check out at practices.
*If you own a set of games, please bring them to practice!
How can I learn all the rules and strategies for the games?
- Your child’s coaches will cover rules and strategies for each game during the practice sessions. Each game set additionally includes rulebooks for each game.
- You may also download the ‘highlights’ sheet(s) for each game, a condensed version of the rules that are very helpful for understanding the games better. They are available at https://www.mathpentath.org/game-information-sheets/
Would Math Pentathlon be a good fit for my child?
Contact the Kiker Math Pentathlon Coordinator (parent volunteer): Angela Ossar ([email protected]) Thank you for your interest in Kiker Math Pentathlon – we look forward to another great year!