Welcome to Kiker Math Pentathlon 2019-2020 season!
Math Pentathlon Registration
Come join us where fun, math, and family time come together. Online registration for the 2019-2020
season is available now. Please register by October 15, 2019 to participate in the Kiker Math Pentathlon
club practices. Register at https://forms.gle/UrhmvP9Ui4nSBn8s6
Once you have registered for the Math Pentathlon club, you may also wish to register for the spring
tournament. If so, please see the answer to “How do I register for the end-of-season tournament?” below.
What is Math Pentathlon?
The Pentathlon Institute, a not-for-profit educational organization, runs Mathematics Pentathlon®, which it describes as “a time-tested program of interactive problem-solving games, supportive curricular and instructional activities, and assessment tools for students in grades K-7. This motivational program strengthens basic math concepts and skills, aligns with National and State Mathematics Standards, and stimulates creative thinking while developing problem-solving skills.”
The Mathematics Pentathlon games provide a highly motivational format for developing and practicing important math concepts. While playing games in cooperative groups, students strengthen their strategic thinking and critical reasoning abilities. For more information on the general program, visit http://www.mathpentath.org.
How is the Math Pentathlon Program set up at Kiker?
The Math Pentathlon Club at Kiker is run by a team of parent volunteers and sponsored by 3rd grade teacher Ms. Sadler. The Club meets on Monday evenings at Kiker from 6:00-7:00pm beginning in mid-November. Students will learn and practice five games in division age groups led by parent volunteers.
Members of Math Pentathlon are eligible to participate in the area tournament held in Austin at the end of the season. Each student should have a parent volunteer who is willing to attend practices to learn the games, as well as volunteer as a Game Monitor during the tournament.
NEW FOR THE 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR: The practices prior to winter break are for all registered Math Pentathlon members. After winter break, practices are only intended for the students who are registered for the tournament in Spring.
When and Where are the Practices?
Location of Practices:
- Division I (Grades K – 1): Cafeteria
- Division II (Grades 2 – 3): Library
- Division III (Grades 4 – 5): Ms. Swint’s Art Room
|Parent only Kickoff meeting|
|October 7, 2019|
|Practice Dates 2019-20||Division I (K/1st)
|Division II (2nd/3rd)
|Division II (4th/5th)(Ms. Swint’s Art Room)|
|November 4||√||√ (in cafeteria)||√|
|March 30||Last Practice||√||√|
|April 13||Last Practice||√|
|April 20||Last Practice|
When and Where are the National Math Pentathlon Academic Tournaments?
- Division I (Kinder/1st Grade): Date: TBD Location: TBD
- Division II (Grades 2/3): Date: TBD Location: TBD
- Division III (Grades 4/5): Date: TBD Location: TBD
* The tournament is a 1-day local event where students compete against same-grade-level students from other schools. For more information, visit the Texas – Austin Metro Center tournament page.
How do I join the Kiker Math Pentathlon Club?
Registration for the 2019-2020 school year is open. Please register using this Google form.
How do we order a Kiker MP T-shirt?
We have a new Kiker Math Pentathlon Club t-shirt this year! The students wear these shirts at tournament, in our yearbook picture, and on certain days at school.
Parents are strongly encouraged to order a shirt to wear at the tournament. This helps kids locate Kiker parents in the crowd, as well as helping the tournament organizers when matching kids with Game Monitors.
Ordering information was sent out via email at the beginning of February.
Where do I get the Pentathlon Games?
- Pentathlon games are sold online through the Math Pentathlon Institute. Visit the MP Online store at https://www.mathpentath.org/online-store/
- Used games can sometimes be found on eBay and Facebook.
- A limited number of game sets will be available to check out at practices.
*If you own a set of games, please bring them to practice!
How can I learn all the rules and strategies for the games?
- Your child’s coaches will cover rules and strategies for each game during the practice sessions. Each game set additionally includes rulebooks for each game.
- You may also download the ‘highlights’ sheet(s) for each game, a condensed version of the rules that are very helpful for understanding the games better. They are available at https://www.mathpentath.org/game-information-sheets/
- Attend a fall workshops hosted by Math Pentathlon. See https://www.mathpentath.org/learning-the-math-pentathlon-program/