Library General Info
Our goal is to provide up-to-date, relevant, and appropriate resources which facilitate and extend learning and meet students’ individual needs. We model and encourage life-long learning and literacy as a source of pleasure and power. Kiker library is available to all Kiker students. Thanks to your support we have a generous collection of books that address a variety of interests.
Here are some things you need to know about the library:
- All students in grades 2-5 may check out three library books. Our librarians recommend that students check out a fiction/efiction book, a nonfiction book, and a free choice book. All library books are due two weeks from the check-out date. Students may renew books twice.
- PK, PPCD, K, and 1st graders are scheduled to come to the library once every week for a 30 minute story time/check out. Students may check out up to three books. The teacher will decide how many the students may check out, usually beginning with one book.
- 2nd – 5th grade students visit the library once every other week. The 45-minute library time includes story time/library lessons/makerspace and book check out. Teachers may also send students to the library during Open Check Out time or as needed during the school day.
Kiker Library Hours:
- The Library is open 7:45 – 3:30 every school day.
- We have Open Check Out every day from 7:45 – 8:15 and 2:15 – 2:45 so that any student may visit the library and check out or renew library books.
- The Library is also open after school from 3:00 – 3:30 for any student as long as they are accompanied by an adult. We will be closed on meeting days. Students are not allowed to be in the library after school without adult supervision.
- Use a quiet voice
- Move about in a quiet manner
- Help keep the library in order
- Are patient when needing help
- Follow directions
Find a Dino-Mite Book at the Book Fair!
Wed. April 24 7:45 – 4:00
Thur. April 25 7:45 – 7:00 Family Night 4:00 – 7:00
Fri. April 26 7:45 – 7:00 Family Night 4:00 – 7:00
SPECIAL EVENT Wed. 10:30 – 1:00 Dino-Mite Picnic on the Deck Bring lunch for you and your child and enjoy it on our picnic deck during your child’s lunch period followed by a visit to the book fair.
FAMILY NIGHTS! Thurs. and Fri. 4:00 – 7:00 Visit the Book Fair during this time and you may enter to win $25 in free books from the Book Fair and your teacher will win $25 in free books from the Book Fair. Good luck!
Special Invitation – Friday night 4/26 Student Council will be hosting a pizza and movie night. Look for more information on the Kiker PTA webpage.
Teacher Wish Lists Many teachers have selected books that they would love to add to their classroom collections. Don’t forget our Special Area and Special Education teachers. They have wish lists, too. What a great end-of-year gift!
Volunteers Needed especially Thurs. and Fri. late afternoon (4:00-7:00).
To sign up go to: https://tinyurl.com/kikerbookfairspring19
See you at the fair!
Clayton/Kiker Camp Bluebonnet Registration is now OPEN!
The 11th Annual Clayton/Kiker Camp Bluebonnet is signing up excited campers! Bluebonnet Camp is for students who are currently in 2nd through 5th grades. Campers will spend a fun filled week reading great books from the Texas Bluebonnet Award list, playing games, making crafts, enjoying yummy food, making new friends and learning! Three sessions are available! Camps fill up FAST and enrollment is limited!
Session 1 Kiker Library June 3-7 9 AM to noon (Session full)
Session 2 Kiker Library June 10-14 9 AM to noon
Session 3 Kiker Library July 22-26 9 AM to noon (Session full)
Kiker and Clayton students may attend any session. The instructors are Mrs. Sposeep, Clayton Librarian, Mrs. Butler and Mrs. Smith, Kiker Librarians. See attachments for more information and registration form.
5913 La Crosse Ave
Austin TX 78739
Phone 512 414 5360
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/KikerLibrary