Library General Info
Our goal is to provide up-to-date, relevant, and appropriate resources which facilitate and extend learning and meet students’ individual needs. We model and encourage life-long learning and literacy as a source of pleasure and power. Kiker library is available to all Kiker students. Thanks to your support we have a generous collection of books that address a variety of interests.
Here are some things you need to know about the library:
- All students in grades 2-5 may check out three library books. Our librarians recommend that students check out a fiction/efiction book, a nonfiction book, and a free choice book. All library books are due two weeks from the check-out date. Students may renew books twice.
- PK, PPCD, K, and 1st graders are scheduled to come to the library once every week for a 30 minute story time/check out. Students may check out up to three books. The teacher will decide how many the students may check out, usually beginning with one book.
- 2nd – 5th grade students visit the library once every other week. The 45-minute library time includes story time/library lessons/makerspace and book check out. Teachers may also send students to the library during Open Check Out time or as needed during the school day.
Kiker Library Hours:
- The Library is open 7:45 – 3:30 every school day.
- We have Open Check Out every day from 7:45 – 8:15 and 2:15 – 2:45 so that any student may visit the library and check out or renew library books.
- The Library is also open after school from 3:00 – 3:30 for any student as long as they are accompanied by an adult. We will be closed on meeting days. Students are not allowed to be in the library after school without adult supervision.
- Use a quiet voice
- Move about in a quiet manner
- Help keep the library in order
- Are patient when needing help
- Follow directions
Waves of Pages Reading Program
Free Ticket to Schlitterbahn!
Have you been to the place called the hottest, coolest time in Texas lately? Complete this reading challenge and you can enjoy the water slides, lagoons, lazy rivers, wade pools and much, much more!
Kiker is offering a new reading program sponsored by Schlitterbahn. Students are asked to read an extra ten hours (in addition to what is required by classroom teachers) and keep track on the reading log. Books read for other reading programs do not count toward this goal. Completed reading logs must be returned to their teacher by February 22, 2019. Each student who completes the goal will receive one ticket to the Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels good through June 30, 2019. Please read the Parent Info page for more information. Tickets will be distributed at the end of the school year.
Six Flags Six Hour Reading Club
Free Ticket to Six Flags for Kiker Students K-5!
Do you like to ride roller coasters? Do you like to float in a lazy winding river? Now your student can read his way to a fun day at a Six Flags amusement park! Students are asked to read an extra six hours (in addition to what is required by classroom teachers) and keep track on the reading log. Books read for other reading programs do not count toward this goal. Reading logs are due to the library by February 22, 2019. Students who complete the required reading and return a completed/signed reading log will receive a free ticket to a Six Flags Fiesta Texas to be used during the summer. Completed forms may be returned to Kiker Library. Tickets will be distributed at the end of the school year.
5913 La Crosse Ave
Austin TX 78739
Phone 512 414 5360
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/KikerLibrary